Here are some suggestions for activities during your Montessori outdoor play time:
Montessori Preschool Outdoor Play: Activity Ideas for Social DevelopmentOutdoor Car Wash
- Materials: Riding cars, bikes, wheelbarrows
- Description: Set up an area outside where the children can wash the playground “cars”. Children can have three stations: soap and sponges; clean water and sponges; and drying cloths.
- Materials: Medium-size playground ball
- Description: Put a medium size ball (‘hot potato’) in the center of a circle along with a student chosen to be 'in the oven'. The rest of the students stand in a circle representing the boundary of the oven, holding hands. The student who is 'in the oven' tries to kick the ball out of the circle using only her feet. The others try to stop the ball with their feet. Once the ball is out of the circle, another student is chosen be be ‘in the oven’.
- Materials: a length of rope
- Description: Form a line, holding the length of rope at intervals. Tell the children they will be following a leader and doing everything the leader does. The Montessori teacher begins the game as the leader, but hands off to a student. Rotate leaders every thirty seconds or so.
- Materials: open space
- Description: Call the name of an animal and see if the children can imitate how they move. Examples: Bunny – hopping; snakes – slithering; horses – galloping.
- Materials: bubble solution made with 2 cups warm water, 1 cup liquid dishwashing soap, ¼ cup glycerin and 1 tsp. of sugar; funnels, straws, bubble ‘wands’
- Description: Mix all the ingredients for the bubble solution together and pour into several small containers. Dip various objects in the bubble solution and blow or wave them in the air to create bubbles.
The NAMC Classroom Guides provide helpful information for creating an effective outdoor environment.