Since there are a number of cultural celebrations during the winter season, this creates an opportunity to learn about the purpose and traditions of each, and to compare the different celebrations. Scholastic’s Winter Holiday website has a wealth of resources for the classroom or homeschool teacher who strives for a higher quality study of the holidays.
Meaningful Winter Celebrations With Scholastic Activities for the Montessori Classroom
Leading up to the winter break in December, Montessori teachers may plan to explore one holiday per week with their Montessori students. Using the Scholastic website enables teachers to keep ideas, inspirations, and information in one location, but further allows your students to continue to look at the “holiday of the week” at school and at home. The week could begin with exploring the history and background of that week’s featured holiday. The week might culminate with the students cooking one of the traditional recipes. Each week could also include an art project inspired by the holiday. During the second and third weeks, the holidays can be compared to the ones previously studied.
Be sure to encourage your students to share their own experiences. Invite special guests to speak about their particular cultural traditions and to bring activities into the classroom for shared participation. Encourage related activities to inspire a sense of shared community and respect. One important theme around winter cultural celebrations is community service; encourage your Montessori students to create a project centered on this theme.
We hope that you will enjoy with your students all the beauty and peace that this season has to offer.
Other related NAMC blogs:
- Napkin Folding Montessori Practical Life Activity: Perfect for the Holidays
- Silent Night and The Profoundness of Peace: Montessori Curriculum
- Symbols of Christmas - Montessori Curriculum
- Christmas Activities for the Montessori Classroom: Handy Tips and Tools
- Season of Giving in the Montessori Classroom: Activities for Good
- Montessori Moments: Unselfish Giving and Holiday Spirit
- Montessori Classrooms Celebrate Winter Holidays Around the World
- Enjoying Winter Activities in the Montessori Classroom
© North American Montessori Center - originally posted in its entirety at Montessori Teacher Training on Tuesday, December 1, 2009.