Begin your circle time by reminding your Montessori students that it is a special day. Ask them if they know what today is. After they tell you that it is Valentine’s Day, ask them what that means. What happens on this day? Why do we do what we do on that day? Remember to be aware of students who may not celebrate this day. Depending on the interest of your students, you could share a simple story of the history of Valentine’s Day. If necessary, help prompt and elicit the ideas of love and friendship from your students with the help of some fun activities and reading.
Books, Activities and Resources for a Valentine’s Day Montessori Circle Timeintroducing a song or poem about peace. Reading a book or sharing a story about an African American peacemaker would tie nicely with African American History Month and introduce a cross-curricular component to your lesson. Martin Luther King Jr. and Ralph J. Bunche are both possibilities. As well, Chinese New Year begins on February 14 in 2010. You could explore peace-related activities surrounding Chinese New Year, a time of reunion and thanksgiving, as another cross-curricular activity. It is now time to bring the discussion of peace outside circle time and introduce a peace-themed art project or poem writing activity that students can complete independently.
Previous NAMC blogs on Valentine’s Day
- Eco-friendly Valentine's Day: Paper Making Montessori Practical Life Activity
- Valentine's Day in the Montessori Classroom: Why Should We Celebrate?
- Valentine's Day: A Day of Friendship and Love, by Terri Dougherty
- My Heart Is Like a Zoo, by Michael Hall
- Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse! (If You Give...) by Laura Numeroff
- Valentine's Day Is… by Gail Gibbons
- The Ballad of Valentine, by Alison Jackson
- Bloom! A Little Book About Finding Love, by Maria Van Lieshout
- Valentines Are For Saying I Love You, by Margaret Sutherland
- Working Together (Keeping the Peace), by Pam Scheunemann
- Finding the Friendship Dolls: A True Story How Children Can Help Create World Peace through Toys, by Charlotte Pack
- The Peace Bell, by Margi Preus
- Hug Time, by Patrick McDonnell
© North American Montessori Center - originally posted in its entirety at Montessori Teacher Training on Tuesday, February 9, 2010.