Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Observing the Child: Tips for Developing a Montessori Teaching Strategy

NAMC montessori observing the child laughing woman and boy

One of the most important roles the Montessori teacher has is to observe. We observe how students spend their time and note what they are drawn to. We ensure that each child is learning at their own pace, in their own way. We carefully observe their particular interests and level of comprehension, and we assess their level of readiness for new presentations. It is through careful observation that the Montessori teacher is able to prepare the classroom environment with materials that relate to the children’s interests and determine which presentations they are ready to receive.

The Importance of Observing the Child and Learning as a Montessori Teacher


Each teacher has his or her own style and time for observing in the classroom. When I was a new teacher in a Montessori Casa class, I had high hopes for observation times. I copied extensive checklists for each child and had a large binder in the classroom to note which presentations I had given the child, her level of understanding, whether I needed to repeat a presentation, or suggestions for extensions I felt she may be ready for. Like most new teachers, I was planning for the ideal situation where I had the time to make notes and fill in checklists after each presentation as well as time to sit and observe each day. It was not too long after I had begun my year that I realized, as much as it would be wonderful, it was not a realistic possibility in my busy classroom.

NAMC montessori observing the child teacher recording notes

Over the last 10 years, I have changed my style of observing and record-keeping many times, each time striving to improve upon the previous year. I quickly learned that my observations (formal and informal) needed to be recorded quickly. Flipping through many pages of presentation checklists for each student took too much time and was not realistic during class. Now, I keep a small notebook close by me at all times. When I have a spare minute, I write important notes regarding presentations and any informal observations I may have. After the children leave for the day, I compare my notes with the record-keeping checklists. I mark off the presentations and extensions we covered that day as well as notes I have regarding interests, comprehension, mastery, and peer dynamics.

On days when the classroom seems more settled — perhaps a few children are absent or there are not as many presentations to give — I use this precious time to take out my ‘observation stool’ and observe. When they see me on the stool, the children know to let me observe uninterrupted. If they do need me, the children write their names on my presentation board and I go to them when I am finished.

The insight gained from observation is so valuable to teachers.

As my style of observation changes each year to correspond with the new group of students, my appreciation and understanding of the importance and value of observation continues to grow as well.

Julie — NAMC Graduate, Montessori Teacher
As much as possible, NAMC’s web blog reflects the Montessori curriculum as provided in its teacher training programs. We realize and respect that Montessori schools are unique and may vary their schedules and offerings in accordance with the needs of their individual communities. We hope that our readers will find our articles useful and inspiring as a contribution to the global Montessori community.
© North American Montessori Center - originally posted in its entirety at Montessori Teacher Training on Tuesday, October 20, 2015.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions or comments? Let us know what you thought about this article!

We appreciate feedback and love to discuss with our readers further.

NAMC Blog Inquiries Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search the NAMC Montessori Teacher Training Blog

Are you interested in reading back through NAMC's blog articles from years gone by, or for more information on a specific topic?

Browse a select list of our most popular categories below; by clicking on one, you will see every article posted under that topic since 2007. You may also use the lower archive menu to select a year and month, displaying all blog posts in the chosen time frame.

If you are seeking a range of information on a certain topic or idea, try this search box for site-wide keyword results.

Choose From a List of Popular Article Topics

NAMC Montessori Series

Montessori Philosophy and Methodology

Montessori Classroom Management

The School Year

Montessori Materials

Montessori Curriculum

Montessori Infant/Toddler (0–3) Program

Montessori Early Childhood (3–6) Program

Montessori Elementary (6–12) Programs

What is Montessori?

Search Archives for Montessori Blog Posts by Date


Thank you to the NAMC Montessori community!

NAMC has been providing quality Montessori distance training and curriculum development to Montessorians around the globe for more than 25 years. Since beginning in 1996, we have grown to build a fantastic community of students, graduates, and schools in over 160 countries. We are grateful for your continued support and dedication to furthering the reach and success of the Montessori method.