Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why I Teach Montessori - A Real Teacher's Perspective

why do I teach NAMC montessori teachers and students microscope
I was sitting around talking at lunch the other day and the question arose: What made you decide on Montessori? The stories varied from one Montessori teacher to another. One was raised in a Montessori environment and school. One replied to an ad for an assistant and went on to get her training. It made me think about my own personal Montessori journey. I'd like to share with you the experiences I had in a Montessori classroom, how they changed my entire life, and the course of my career.

Why I Teach Montessori - A Real Teacher's Perspective

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a teacher. My favorite toy as a child was a chalkboard that my grandparents had given to me. I spent countless hours “teaching” my younger sister how to read. While other children were playing hide-and-go-seek, I was playing “school”.

After taking French in high school, I decided to become a French teacher, largely in part due to my teacher and mentor, Ann Henderson. I remember reading about Montessori as an undergraduate but thought she was just another educational psychologist/philosopher like Piaget, Rousseau, and Pestalozzi. I don’t even think I knew then that there were schools dedicated to the Montessori way of education.

As a young teacher, I became intrigued in alternative methods of education. This was due largely in part to the Rudolf Steiner College [Waldorf education] near my house. At this time, I learned there were Montessori schools, but again, didn't really follow up as to what they were.

why do I teach NAMC montessori teachers girl sandpaper lettersAbout ten years later, when my son was 5 years old, I burst into tears upon visiting the public kindergarten he was to go to. The classroom had no student work displayed, the largest corner of the room was dedicated to toys, and when asked where the books were, the teacher kindly told me that since kindergartners couldn't read, she didn't keep books in the classroom. I was shocked! I asked what she was going to do with my son since he was already reading. She told me he would learn his letters and sounds like everyone else. She insisted I was wrong; a kindergarten boy can’t read. I was furious.

My town had a Montessori school in the basement of a church, and I had driven by it for years without paying much attention to it. That afternoon I called them to see if they had an opening for my son for the next year.

During my initial visit, I absolutely fell in love with the Montessori Method. I observed in a 2 ½ -4 year old Montessori classroom. (The 5 year olds had a separate kindergarten class). There was a sense of calm and wonder as the children gathered for morning circle. The group lesson was on the solar system and planets. Not only did these young children know the names of the planets, they could place them in correct order.

Then, I watched a teacher use sandpaper letters and a tray of objects to teach the “m” sound. The intensity and joy on one little girl’s face as she traced “m” with her finger and then collected “m” objects was incredible. In all of my years in education, I had never seen such a joy for learning. The fact that the child was able to do it herself with such a kind and patient guide was more than I could ask for. I signed the contract for my son that day.

why do I teach NAMC montessori teachers boy pink towerAlthough my son was the one attending kindergarten, it felt as though I, too, was reaping the benefits of Montessori education. Learning about practical life activities was as much of a joy to me as it was to him. His teacher was wonderful. Many days when I’d pick him up, she’d let me explore the classroom and give me lessons on the scent jars, sound cylinders, spindle boxes, the pink tower and the blue and red rods. I found myself thinking time and time again “this makes perfect sense”.

Unfortunately, there was no lower elementary class, as much as all the parents pleaded. I enrolled my son in the aforementioned public school for first grade and resigned myself to the fact that since he already knew the 1st grade curriculum, he would spend the year developing his social “public school” skills.

I also began thinking seriously about opening my own Montessori school, and in fact, almost bought a property. I decided that I needed more information and began researching Montessori training programs. I was a single mom working full-time in educational publishing and unable to quit my job in order to “go” to school. Finding the North American Montessori Center (NAMC) was truly a blessing. I enrolled in and completed my 3-6 training with NAMC and by the next spring, I was sending out resumes all over New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, and upstate New York. I sent out over 30 resumes and received positive feedback from all but two schools. In fact, I was offered over five positions as lead teacher! At one school, I was asked if I would be interested in teaching in their Upper Elementary program. Since I didn't have my Upper Elementary certificate, they paid for me to take an intense summer training course. (At that time, NAMC did not offer an Upper Elementary program!) By the time my son was in third grade, both he and I were back in the Montessori classroom, happier than ever.

Our stories are all unique, but we share one common thread: Maria Montessori. Her passion for children around the world and her quest for the respect of the individual has lead us to follow in her footsteps. What is your story? I’d love to hear it.

Become a Montessori teacher through NAMC’s teacher training diploma programs.
As much as possible, NAMC’s web blog reflects the Montessori curriculum as provided in its teacher training programs. We realize and respect that Montessori schools are unique and may vary their schedules and offerings in accordance with the needs of their individual communities. We hope that our readers will find our articles useful and inspiring as a contribution to the global Montessori community.
© North American Montessori Center - originally posted in its entirety at Montessori Teacher Training on Thursday, September 11, 2008.

1 comments:

  1. Hi, Michelle! I love hearing people's "how I found Montessori" stories. It's so awesome that so many of us have been captivated by Montessori. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Have questions or comments? Let us know what you thought about this article!

We appreciate feedback and love to discuss with our readers further.

NAMC Blog Inquiries Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search the NAMC Montessori Teacher Training Blog

Are you interested in reading back through NAMC's blog articles from years gone by, or for more information on a specific topic?

Browse a select list of our most popular categories below; by clicking on one, you will see every article posted under that topic since 2007. You may also use the lower archive menu to select a year and month, displaying all blog posts in the chosen time frame.

If you are seeking a range of information on a certain topic or idea, try this search box for site-wide keyword results.

Choose From a List of Popular Article Topics

NAMC Montessori Series

Montessori Philosophy and Methodology

Montessori Classroom Management

The School Year

Montessori Materials

Montessori Curriculum

Montessori Infant/Toddler (0–3) Program

Montessori Early Childhood (3–6) Program

Montessori Elementary (6–12) Programs

What is Montessori?

Search Archives for Montessori Blog Posts by Date


Thank you to the NAMC Montessori community!

NAMC has been providing quality Montessori distance training and curriculum development to Montessorians around the globe for more than 25 years. Since beginning in 1996, we have grown to build a fantastic community of students, graduates, and schools in over 160 countries. We are grateful for your continued support and dedication to furthering the reach and success of the Montessori method.